You will work alongside the Director, Legal and assist in providing pragmatic and timely advice on all manner of legal issues facing the WestJet Group. You will mainly work with the commercial and IT teams assisting with all legal issues, including contract review, providing regulatory advice, and managing litigation. You will continue and strengthen an efficient and effective partnership between the various business units and the legal team.
- Conduct and/or oversee the handling of some litigation files;
- Instruct and manage external counsel on a variety of files;
- Partner with business units and the procurement team to review, vet, draft, negotiate, and revise and provide advice on contracts, and policies and procedures;
- Conduct and/or oversee the handling of the trademark and patent portfolios;
- Support commercial, digital and technology matters at WestJet and its affiliates;
- Provide pragmatic and timely advice to various departments on contractual and other legal issues;
- Represent WestJet in negotiations and discussions and other dealings with counterparties and governmental agencies, as needed; and
- Provide general legal advice to all areas of WestJet and its affiliates.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to interact with different departments and management levels across the company;
- Experience with delivering training on a departmental and enterprise basis is an asset;
- Broad base of technology and digital experience is an asset;
- Experience with trademark and patent infringement matters is an asset;
- Experience with privacy laws is an asset;
- Proven ability to deal with complex commercial legal issues involving multiple areas of the law and multiple jurisdictions;
- Committed team player with a great sense of humor; and
- Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset.
- Must be a lawyer with at least 3 to 5 years of legal experience in a law firm or in-house counsel position and be a member in good standing of the Alberta Bar (or another provincial bar);
- Must have broad base of experience in commercial law;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills required;
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment with changing deadlines and priorities;
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Montréal, QB, CA
Application Deadline: N/A