The Sr. Director of Merchandising is a key leader in the Merchandising Buying team that oversees all aspects of an assigned category. This leader is accountable for the creation and execution of comprehensive strategies both near and long term that align with the assigned categories and total PetSmart strategies. Strategies should cross product, merchandising, and promotions delivering the financial goals to ensure the business achieves sales and margin plans. The Director, Buying leads a team of merchants who are responsible for department-level strategies including product creation, merchandising, and promotion.
As a competitive leader in retail, this role drives buying teams to aggressively identify business opportunities and trends, understand the competitive landscape, maximize assortment, and generate business analysis to achieve continued growth, forward-looking plans, and profitability.
- Aggressive and urgently drive the business by leveraging and integrating business analysis to track sales, identify key trends and maximize opportunities in the assortment.
- Creates and drives strategy with full accountability for assigned categories ensuring that the sales and margin results achieve financial and strategic goals of the Company.
- Drives partnership and collaboration with Merchandise Planning and Allocation, Product Development, Store Operations, Marketing, and vendors community.
- Accountable for the skill development and career growth of the team.
- Leads a team responsible for the assigned categories; Indirectly lead and partner with Planning and Allocation teams.
- Responsible for vendor relationships including annual negotiations to secure financial and business support.
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- Pet-friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
Qualification & Experience:
- Proven track record of identifying opportunities and driving sales and margin metrics.
- Strong strategic, customer-focused, analytical, management, and financial skills.
- Proven ability and experience in evaluating analytics and applying to business decision making.
- 8-10 years of experience in Buying/Planning roles, with increasing levels of leadership experience. Retail experience required, and CPG experience is an additional benefit.
- Bachelor’s Degree, MBA preferred.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Marketing, Sales
Job Location: Phoenix, AZ, US
Application Deadline: N/A