The CSIR has a vacancy for a Principal Mining Rock Engineer in the Mining Cluster within the Mining Manufacturing Defence and Security Division. The incumbent will have the opportunity to re-imagine mining solutions through leading research development and innovation using of cutting edge 4IR technologies. The incumbent will be responsible to drive, derive, plan, and execute the strategy to improve safety through application of existing rock engineering knowledge in open cast and underground, shallow, and deep level mining operations. This position is based at the Gauteng with the flexibility to working remotely and the clients mining operational sites.
- Define program, scope and objectives, deliverables, schedule, financial risk, resource, interdependency and integration management;
- Develop and implement governance systems to manage and deliver on the rock engineering and mining portfolio of projects.
- Lead and grow the rock engineering capability within the cluster;
- Actively scan cutting edge technologies in and outside mining sector to solve critical, primarily mining and rock engineering issues;
- Ensure that projects are managed in an integrated way;
- Re-imagine solutions to support the mining industry using this technology, primarily to solve rock engineering problems;
- Lead and grow multi-disciplinary teams;
- Lead and disseminate technical knowledge and expertise related to the mining value chain, including mentorship of CSIR staff.
- Drive multidisciplinary teams to build and implement solutions across various technology readiness scales proof of concept through to commercial product;
- Translate mining business challenges into technical solutions.
- Apply sound scientific knowledge in problem solving and synthesising solutions using mining domain knowledge, eg. Rock science, mining processes, mine value chain;
- A focus on mineral resources and sustainable mining would be advantageous;
- Rock engineering problem solving;
- Design of rock engineering projects and reports.
- Established and maintained links with internal and external stakeholders and clients, as well as the research community;
- Underground mining operations with one or more commodities (Gold, coal, platinum, and chrome in underground mines) as a rock engineer;
- Setting rock engineering standards;
- Financial and business.
- Mining extraction processes (drill, blast & hauling);
- Ability to generate new knowledge and innovate;
- Knowledge of Mine Health and Safety Act (MHSA);
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Ability to lead innovation and technology adoption in the mining industry;
Qualification & Experience:
- Master’s degree in mining engineering, geosciences, rock engineering;
- Mining design software or numerical modelling related software;
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A