This role is responsible for engineering Target’s Assortment Planning Experience platform. The platform will enable our uses to deliver timely, viable and relevant guest assortments and is a critical strategic capability for the delivering profitable sales growth for Target. The platform will enable capabilities that will help determine what items need to be sold; how much; at which locations (stores, digital, both) and at what time period.
As a Principal Engineer you set the strategy for software development and/or infrastructure engineering at Target. You set the direction for how software and infrastructure engineering efforts will be designed, developed, and operationalized across multiple portfolios and drives adoption across TTS. You lead and approve software and infrastructure engineering efforts to meet functional and non-functional requirements. You are a thought leader and mentor for internal and external technical talent and actively contribute to the external technical community.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Principal Engineer, you’ll take the lead as you…
Understand Target’s business and technical environments and assist teams in resolving complex business challenges via current technical solutions by assessing viability/applicability/cost implication through POCs and prototypes. Collaborate with technical staff and Enterprise Architecture teams in setting technical direction across platform and drive technology lifecycle management and communication of standards/decisions to the engineering team. Participate in procurement specifications, installation, and maintenance of Target systems. Lead designing and building the Target platform API with deep focus on non-functional requirement including scalability, availability, performance, etc. while being a strong advocate of extreme agile and DevOps practices across engineers. Work with engineering leaders to build a high performing engineering team and provide technical leadership, coaching, motivation and participate in the selection of technical talent.
- Has excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills to convey complex technical solutions clearly to an organization
- Be an expert level programmer and kept up-to-date with object oriented languages (Java) and related frameworks
- Strong team player who understands concepts of teamwork and team effectiveness with the ability to work across different internal teams and demonstrate technical leadership
- Understands business fundamentals and how technologies can support business goals along with how to translate business vision into a technical strategy while understanding the financial implications
- Has a track record for building highly scalable, resilient, and performant distributed systems
- Has proven leadership capabilities, the ability to influence others, interpersonal skills, and problem solving skills
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience. Continuing education to maintain thorough knowledge of technical domains along with staying current in latest technologies
- 4+ years of experience in strategic planning and setting technical direction
- Help hire engineering talent and build a learning culture
- Has excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Experience in Java/ J2EE, sql/ no-sql (postgre, mongoDB, Cassandra, graph structure, etc.), Python, Ruby, Chef, Drone, Kubernetes containers, Cloud tech, etc.
- Possesses a strong understanding of systems programming and control languages as required by your domain. Has demonstrated success in solving complex technical problems in more than one technical or functional areas
- 12+ years of experience in technology development or services
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Application Deadline: N/A