Website Norfolk Southern
The position focuses primarily on providing legal counsel and support to NS’s operations as a transportation enterprise. Primary responsibilities are to advise and counsel the management team to ensure that NS rail operations and other transportation functions within the NS corporation are fully compliant with all Federal, state and local laws related to rail and surface transportation. This includes the U.S. Department of Transportation (including the Federal Railroad Administration, Pipelines and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Adminstration, and the Federal Aviation Administration), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (including the Transportation Security Administration), and other Federal, state or local government agencies. Additional duties include advising NS business groups on commercial matters, including drafting and negotiating transportation contracts, joint use agreements, nondisclosure agreements, and other initiatives for the shipment of commercial products and commodities.
- Work with internal clients including divisions within the Law Department, safety, transportation, mechanical, engineering, strategic planning, marketing, and other business groups, as well as outside counsel and experts to advise on and regulatory matters and to manage and direct representation of NS before Federal, state and local agencies.
- Advise, draft, negotiate, and oversee complex contractual arrangements necessary for the provision of transportation services.
- Research, write, and edit briefs and memoranda regarding case specific issues and broader legal initiatives.
- Evaluate proposed legislation, regulations, and other administrative law matters as they arise, in collaboration with others to develop efficient and appropriate resolutions.
- Preparation and/or presentation of materials to various internal audiences regarding pending regulatory activities that have an impact on the company’s rail operations.
- Demonstrated experience in Federal and State regulatory practice in transportation. Highly desirable experience and knowledge of safety regulation of the railroad industry.
- Experience with federal preemption and preclusion issues, regulatory enforcement or engagement.
- Minimum Level: 6-8 years in the legal field
- Georgia Bar license or active license in another state bar to seek to waive into Georgia Bar after commencement of employment.
- Familiarity and experience drafting and handling commercial contract negotiations, including business terms, liability and indemnification.
- Strong oral and written skills; ability to summarize complex matters into presentations, memo and action plans. Strong interpersonal skills. Self-motivated.
- Decision making including the ability to manage a varied case load and to participate in, or co-lead, cross-functional efforts.
- Identifying and considering alternatives through the use of objective data.
- Preferred Level: 10-12 years in legal field
Company: Norfolk Southern
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Lebanon, PA, US
Application Deadline: N/A