Website South African Revenue Service - SARS
To conduct litigation of revenue matters in Tax, High Courts including Supreme Court of Appeal and Constitutional court where applicable in terms of the applicable statutes and rules of court. To also provide expert advice on legal issues.
- Contribute to the optimum utilisation of org. resources, advising on effective planning and development of area of specialisation resource plans.
- Optimise goal achievement through tactical strategy development and optimisation of practises, processes & systems across an internal value chain.
- Draw on own technical or professional expertise, knowledge & experience to identify & recommend tactical solutions to defined problems in practices.
- Take the lead to research, prepare and argue significant tax appeal cases involving important or intricate interpretive or quantitative issues.
- Acts as a thought leader internally on Higher Court Litigation matters, including the Supreme Court of Appeal & the Constitutional Court, where applicable.
- Analyse and make recommendations about improvements to specialist systems, procedures, policies and practices.
- Recommend changes to optimise processes, systems, practice areas and associated procedures and execute the implementation of change and innovation.
- Integrate business information, compare, analyse & produce reports to identify trends, discrepancies & inconsistencies for decision making purposes.
- Provide specialist advice and opinions to SARS operations and management on significant Tax matters
- Translate top down policy, apply modification in relation to own practice area and communicate impact to relevant stakeholders.
- Provide authoritative advice and guidance that supports the realization of major organisational objectives on all Higher Court Tax Litigation matters.
- Provide expert advice, instruct and brief attorneys and counsel in respect of applications in the Magistrate’s Court or High Court.
- Plan for value-added, continuous multiple practice and system improvement optimisation to deliver on objectives and to enhance tactical excellence.
- Influence and communicate across business areas impacted by practice area to minimise resistance and ensure on-boarding of new thinking.
- Proactively identify interconnected problems, determine its impact and use to develop best fit alternatives; developing best practice solutions.
- Develop multiple practices in alignment with operational policy and procedural frameworks, supporting tactical development and excellence.
- Business Knowledge
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Efficiency improvement
- Functional Policies and Procedures
- Legal Advisory and Interpretation
- Legal Compliance
- Legal Knowledge and knowledge of ethics
- Policy analysis
- Tax Law Proficiency
Qualification & Experience:
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree / Advanced Diploma (NQF 7) and 15 years related experience.
- Relevant (Honours) / Post Graduate Diploma (NQF 8): Law, Admitted Attorney AND 10-12 years’ experience in a similar environment, of which 3-4 years ideally at a specialist level.
- Admitted attorney
Company: South African Revenue Service – SARS
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A