Website Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Senior Researcher: Pavement Engineering and Materials in the Transport Infrastructure Engineering Impact Area of Smart Mobility and specifically in Pavement Design and Construction (PDC) research group. This position is based in Pretoria.
- To become recognised as an expert in the field of Pavement engineering and materials, and associated research.
- Lead the research in the validation of innovative/alternative/new materials for use in road construction.
- Proven contract and project management experience on medium to large-scale projects, preferably involving multi-disciplinary research and development, both in South Africa and international.
- Practical knowledge of, and experience in a range of research methods.
- Provide scientific leadership to staff in the Pavement Design and Construction research group by means of an excellent grasp of the field and by ensuring quality scientific outputs and the professional development and transformation of the group’s scientific capacity.
- Networking ability both nationally and internationally, and proven networks within all aspects of transport infrastructure design, construction, maintenance and rehabilitation.
- Promote a culture of scientific excellence in terms of both quality and delivery.
- Computer literacy and experience in using standard software packages; programming skills will be an advantage.
infrastructure funding alternatives
- A Master’s degree in civil engineering or pavement engineering with atleast five years’s in the following fields related to road engineering:
performance assessment and modelling
- Sustainability science
- Materials and modelling:
- Construction and maintenance
- Forensic investigation
- Analytical skills with a problem-solving, solution-seeking orientation.
- Track record of research outputs published in peer-reviewed journals, books or conference proceedings.
- Effective communication skills (oral, written and presentation), including excellent communication in English.
- Procurement/contractual models
- Risk and vulnerability assessment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Skills in staff motivation and performance management.
- Asset management
- Asphalt technology
- Excellent report-writing skills.
Company: Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A